Monthly Archives: September 2013

Spring Wood, near Whalley

Originally called Oxheywoode, Spring Wood was owned by monks from Whalley Abbey.  It was described as being “one bow shot East of the Abbey” in 1553. We know that the wood contained trees such as hazel and elder, as these are … Continue reading

Posted in Medieval Lancashire | Tagged ,

Whalley Viking Age Crosses, Whalley

In the churchyard of  St Mary’s Parish Church Whalley, are three substantial sized Viking age crosses. Over the last thousand years they have been knocked down, broken up, and  used as  field fence posts.  What we see today are re-erected shafts, some topped with mismatched … Continue reading

Posted in Saxon & Viking Age Sculpture,, Saxon and Viking Lancashire | Tagged , , | 2 Comments

Sawley Abbey, Sawley village, near Clitheroe

Sawley Abbey was founded in 1146, by monks from Newminster Abbey near Morpeth, Northumberland. The land was donated by the powerful Percy family, who went on to give more land in 1280 due to the monks complaining about the marshy ground … Continue reading

Posted in Medieval Lancashire, Medieval Monasteries, | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment

Whalley Abbey, Whalley, near Clitheroe

The Whalley monks originally came from Stanlaw Abbey, near Ellesmere Port. They had wanted to move for some time, because of the unsuitability of the Stanlaw site. Stanlaw Abbey had been subject to repeated floods over the years and the … Continue reading

Posted in Medieval Lancashire, Medieval Monasteries, | Tagged , | 2 Comments