Category Archives: Georgian Lancashire

Feniscowles Hall ruins, Blackburn

Feniscowles Hall stands as ruin today but was once the opulent home of the Fensicowles branch of the Feilden family. Their history in the area accounts for many of the buildings around Feniscowles, and there is still much to see on … Continue reading

Posted in Georgian Lancashire, Historic Houses,, Victorian Lancashire | Tagged , , , , | 2 Comments

Worden Park Walled Garden, Leyland

Worden Park’s Walled Garden was built in 1777 as the kitchen garden for Worden Hall. It was used to grow vegetables, fruit and flowers for the owners, the Farington family. Designed to be a show piece for visitors to the house, it is … Continue reading

Posted in Georgian Lancashire, Victorian Lancashire | Tagged , | 2 Comments

Brindleheath and Old Jewish Cemeteries, Pendleton, Salford

Just off the busy four lane highway of the A6 in Salford lies the small Brindleheath cemetery. It was here that the chapel of St Thomas once stood. It’s gone now, but on the site many of the gravestones of the cemetery remain, not in their … Continue reading

Posted in Georgian Lancashire, Victorian Lancashire | Tagged , , ,

Becconsall Old Church of All Saints, Hesketh Bank, West Lancashire

Hesketh with Becconsall  can feel pretty remote even today with the rivers of the Ribble to the north and Douglas to the east, and the large expanse of  Hesketh Marsh to the west. With our modern road links and bridges we take it for granted … Continue reading

Posted in Georgian Lancashire | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

Cann Street Well, Tottington, near Bury

A little way along Cann Street in Tottington is Cann Well. It is protected by a small drystone wall facing on to the road, and a cap stone above it. It is well cared for  and has plants on the … Continue reading

Posted in Ancient Wells,, Georgian Lancashire | Tagged , , | 2 Comments

Worden Hall and Park, Leyland

The land at present day Worden Park was acquired by Henry Farington in 1534 and would stay with his family for over 400 years. The earliest hall on the site was called Shaw Hall and this is shown on a 1725 … Continue reading

Posted in Georgian Lancashire, Victorian Lancashire | Tagged , , | 4 Comments

Platt Hall, Platt Fields Park, Rusholme

Raphe Worsley bought the Platt estate in 1625. He’d made his money  supplying yarn to local handloom weavers from Rusholme and selling the cloth they produced in Manchester. His son Charles was a high ranking officer in Oliver Cromwell’s army,  raising a regiment in Manchester and later … Continue reading

Posted in Georgian Lancashire, Historic Houses, | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

Lytham Hall, Lytham

In 1606 Cuthbert Clifton bought the site of Lytham Hall and 5,500 acres of land from the Molyneux family.  He ordered the old manor house to be levelled so that he could have a new one built. This Jacobean house still exists today, connected … Continue reading

Posted in Georgian Lancashire, Historic Houses,, Stuart Lancashire | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

Lancashire Museums have a short stay of execution

For the very latest on this story as of autumn 2016 click here The five Lancashire Museums that faced closure at the end of March, have a stay of execution until the end of September. Lancashire County Councillor Marcus Johnstone, cabinet … Continue reading

Posted in Georgian Lancashire, Lancashire Mills,, Latest News | Tagged ,

Lydiate Hall ruins, Lydiate, West Lancashire

The original Lydiate Hall was built by Laurence Ireland sometime in the 15oos. He had exchanged his land at Garston (near Liverpool) for estates at Lydiate and Maghull. The original hall he built was a single range, possibly made of stone. He was also … Continue reading

Posted in Georgian Lancashire, Historic Houses,, Stuart Lancashire, Tudor Lancashire, Victorian Lancashire | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment