Category Archives: Victorian Lancashire

Mount Pavilion, Fleetwood

Peter Hesketh of Rossall Hall sank his fortune into building the brand new town of Fleetwood, on a stretch of the deserted coast where the River Wyre meets the sea. He commissioned the architect Decimus Burton to design the layout … Continue reading

Posted in Victorian Lancashire | Tagged , | 1 Comment

Fleetwood’s Victorian Lighthouses

It was Peter Hesketh’s bold vision to create along an empty, wind swept shore the town of Fleetwood. It was to be a brand new Victorian holiday resort and seaport. He commissioned  Captain Henry Mangles Denham of the Royal Navy and the scientific Royal Society to design … Continue reading

Posted in Victorian Lancashire | 1 Comment

Worden Hall and Park, Leyland

The land at present day Worden Park was acquired by Henry Farington in 1534 and would stay with his family for over 400 years. The earliest hall on the site was called Shaw Hall and this is shown on a 1725 … Continue reading

Posted in Georgian Lancashire, Victorian Lancashire | Tagged , , | 2 Comments

St George’s Hall, Liverpool

In early Victorian times Liverpool was in need of two new buildings- one for  an entertainment venue and another for  law courts. Two independent competitions were held to find an architect for these two schemes. Harry Lonsdale Elmes, a young architect, won both, quite a coup … Continue reading

Posted in Victorian Lancashire | Tagged ,

Smithills Hall, Bolton

In 1335 William de Radcliffe acquired the manor of  Smithills. During the early years there would only have been the medieval Great Hall on the site, which  still exists there today. It is a large rectangular stone building and in here the family and … Continue reading

Posted in Historic Houses,, Medieval Lancashire, Stuart Lancashire, Tudor Lancashire, Victorian Lancashire | Tagged , | 3 Comments

St Walburge’s Church, Maudlands, Preston

By the late 1840s many of Preston’s churches had become very overcrowded, so a decision was made to found a new one dedicated to                        St Walburge. It was designed by the architect Joseph Hansom, the famous designer of the original two wheeled horse drawn Hansom Cab. A huge fundraising … Continue reading

Posted in Victorian Lancashire | Tagged , | 1 Comment

Jubilee Tower, Quernmore, near Lancaster

James Harrison was a wealthy Liverpool shipbuilder who lived in Hare Appletree, near Quernmore. To celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, he did two things. In a  fit of patriotism  he lit a beacon on nearby Clougha Pike on the … Continue reading

Posted in Monuments, Victorian Lancashire | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

Lydiate Hall ruins, Lydiate, West Lancashire

The original Lydiate Hall was built by Lawrence Ireland sometime in the 15oos. He had exchanged his land at Garston (near Liverpool) for estates at Lydiate and Maghull. The original hall he built was a single range, possibly made of stone. By the late … Continue reading

Posted in Georgian Lancashire, Historic Houses,, Stuart Lancashire, Tudor Lancashire, Victorian Lancashire | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment

Parbold Bottle Monument, Parbold

The Parbold Bottle stands just a few minutes walk away from the stunning vista on top of Parbold Hill, a well known local viewpoint. The monument itself is curious both in terms of  its history and the reason for it being built. … Continue reading

Posted in Monuments, Victorian Lancashire | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

Steam Tram Turning Triangle and Twin Waiting Rooms, Darwen

Darwen had one of the first steam tram lines to operate in the whole the the country, opening in 1881.  It was run by Busby Carson & Company under the name ‘Blackburn and Over Darwen Tramway Company Ltd’. The name is still remembered … Continue reading

Posted in Victorian Lancashire, Victorian Railways & Tramways, | Tagged , , | 1 Comment