Tag Archives: Claughton viking burial

Claughton Viking Burial, near Garstang

In 1822 a group of workers building a new road near Claughton Hall cut through a sandy mound in the area now known as Sandhole Wood. By doing so they discovered a Viking burial mound (or ‘hlaew’) and uncovered its grave goods a few feet below the surface. Whether the … Continue reading

Posted in Saxon and Viking Lancashire, Saxon and Viking Landscape Feature | Tagged ,