All that remains of the medieval cross is its unusual sandstone base. Set on a modern stone pedestal, the bottom of the original base is eight sided, which then tapers to a cylinder to hold a wooden cross shaft. The tall wooden shaft and metal cap are a modern, but striking addition. The cross has been moved around in its time. It had stood outside the Chetham Arms Inn but was relocated in 1845 to Turton Tower. In 1933 it was moved to its present position, a very short distance away from the Chetham Arms, and put into a memorial garden. Part of the explanatory plaque reads “The
market cross and stocks of Chapeltown, moved from their first site near the fair ground to Turton tower are now restored to the village by TUDC”. The fair referred to here would have been one for the selling of livestock. The stocks are also on view in the public garden.
Parking: Park on the street by the cross, or treat yourself to a visit to the pub and wander up afterwards
The Ancient Crosses and Holy Wells of Lancashire, A Revised Version, Volume IV, Salford Hundred, Henry Taylor, (A.J.Noble Volume Editor), 2005, North West Catholic History Society
Journeys Through Brigantia, Volume Eleven, Circular Walks in The East Lancashire Pennines, 2003, John Dixon and Jaana Jarvinen, Aussteiger Publications
English Heritage: www.pastscape.org (accessed 19/10/13)