Just north of Clifton, at the crossroads where Clifton Road meets both Deepdale Road and Church Lane, there is a modern cross. It stands in the Medieval socket stone that once held a much earlier cross.
The Historic England Pastscape website states that the socket stone originally stood on the opposite side of the road. It was moved to its present position and the modern cross inserted in 1913. Next to the monument is a small carved stone plaque which states “The base stone was removed from N.W. corner and the cross erected to the glory of God and in memory of Edmund Birley J.P. Clifton Hall”.
Park at the small car park in front of the drive up to St John the Evangelist Church or at the Clifton Windmill’s Mill Tavern car park. The cross stands on Deepdale Road, just a few moments walk away.
A drive away
Historic England Pastscape website http://www.pastscape.org Monument 40693