The Wyre Aqueduct was built in 1797 and is situated close to Garstang Basin. It was designed by the architect of the more famous Lune Aqueduct, canal engineer John Rennie.
The aqueduct is 110 feet long and in a single span carries the Lancaster Canal 34 feet above the River Wyre, which meets the sea at Fleetwood. It is made of sandstone blocks which are set in bands with alternating rough ‘rock’ faces, and smooth ‘furrowed’ faces.
The Lancaster Canal originally ran from Preston to Kendal and did not link up with the rest of the canal network. This situation changed when, in 2002, it was connected to the River Ribble by the newly built Ribble Link.
Site visited by A. and R. Bowden 2019
There is a bridge that gives access onto the Lancaster Canal at Kepple Lane in Garstang. For a map see the Canal and River Trust website here
Nearby, just a walk away Greenhalgh Castle
Life on the Lancaster Canal, Janet Rigby (2006), Landy Publishing
On site interpretation boards